The magnificence of aspens and pine in fall.
The book I’ll be submitting for #AuthorMentorMatch is Cruze Control a #YA story about mother/daughter relationship.
17-year-old Hanna lives with her family in Lake in the Pines,MN but wants to see the world, write music, and dance in music videos.
Set in 1986 just before technology changed life as we know it, she idolizes Madonna and dreams big.
In no particular order:
- I’m a reading specialist.
- I’m an environmental educator.
- I’m passionate about nature.
- I love dancing, hiking, and skiing – not all at the same time.
- I love country music.
- I’m from Chicago and a Cubs fan for life.
- I live in the national forest just west of Boulder CO.
- I love reading, writing, and photography.
- I have three children.
- I love travel.
- My favorite TV shows are Jeopardy and Stephen Colbert.
Sunrise from my home in the Rocky Mountains
More about my book:
YA Historical/Contemporary Fiction 75,000 words What happens when Hanna’s mom promises to keep her secret in exchange for better grades and behavior during senior year? Secrets and promises have a way of unraveling those who hold them. The goals of mother and daughter are at odds creating challenges for the whole family.
My book contains realistic, universal issues teenage girls face, including relationships between sisters, parents, and friends. Excellent dialogue and ideally a way to increase communication between mothers and daughters.
“I love you to the moon and back!” Every mother to her child.
My MS could use:
- the TLC and guidance of a mentor who understands how it feels to be a daughter on the cusp of independence and a mother who wants to keep her close and safe.
- Help with POV issues.
- Plot points that need strengthening and maybe some that need to be discarded.
- More anger and drama to create tension in places where it’s missing.
What I bring to the party
- Lots of delicious recipes (a play on party but also my characters like to cook so there are recipes)
- My picture books – 3 written so far – have all gone through major revisions and are notably improved from the guidance of CPs and professional help. Currently being queried.
- A commitment to the process of writing and collaboration on my work.
- A sense of humor and willingness to learn from those with more experience.
- I have recently attended The Southampton Writers Conference, the SCBWI Squam writes retreat and will be attending the Rocky Mountain SCBWI Letters and Lines conference in October.
The beauty of Amsterdam