ALIANA REACHES FOR THE MOON was released on 2/19/19 (An author’s reflection in no particular order)
- Reconnecting with children I used to teach and their families and knowing how proud they are that I reached this goal.
- Being on panels and in groups which connected me with authors of distinguished status.
- Being part of Apollopalooza in July as the world celebrated the 50th anniversary of landing on the moon.
- Seeing my book on the shelf at a bookstore or library.
- Hearing feedback from children and parents that they love the book.
- As of today Aliana has 62 reviews on Amazon for which I am sincerely grateful.
Tomorrow night a giveaway raffle that I’m participating in will be available! #12Books12Winners – I’ll share the link when it’s live.
I’m caught up in the excitement of the Apollo 11 moon landing, which you know if you follow this blog. The clips of the astronauts, mission control, and Walter Cronkite are all bringing the magnitude of this accomplishment into focus for me.
I was a child in 1969 and didn’t understand why this garnered the world’s attention. Now, as an adult I understand the danger and why Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins were heroes. The very real chance of them not coming back didn’t occur to me until 1986, when I watched the Challenger disaster.
As the countdown reaches 2 days left to 7/20/19, this illustration created by Ariel Boroff to depict the big reveal in our book, demonstrates my own feeling watching all of the news footage from 50 years ago. I hope you are also filled with awe.
Ignite your child’s interest in space and astronomy with these great picture books; recommended by local librarians and book experts.
— Read on www.coloradoparent.com/space-and-astronomy-books/
Honored to have ALIANA REACHES FOR THE MOON on this list of amazing books!
I truly enjoyed the month of April as Author-of-the-Month at all four Timbuk Toys stores in Denver. It was lovely meeting people and sharing Aliana Reaches for the Moon. Toy stores are such a happy place.
I received a warm welcome each time I visited a store from both the employees and shoppers. I enjoyed interesting conversations about books, children, science, encouraging curiosity in children, and the importance of boys reading about strong, intelligent girls. In other words, a book with a female main character is NOT a ‘girl book.’ We have to empower our daughters and also teach our sons that girls are their equals. As a reading specialist, this is an important subject on which I have done considerable research and therefore have some strong opinions regarding how literature impacts the way gender roles are portrayed.
Was it Successful? There are many ways to measure success.
- Was it fun? Yes!
- Was the book well received? Yes!
- Did the employees like my book? Yes, one store set up the display above and sent me this picture. It’s humbling, to say the least.
- Did we sell a lot of copies? Yes! In fact, I broke the previous record of Author-of-the-month sales by over 60% so for those of us who like quantitive information YES!
There are so many ways and reasons why it’s important to support local businesses. Independent book stores are my favorite places to visit no matter where I travel.
It’s been a while since I shopped for toys, but for the month of April I’ll be spending a lot of time at a Denver toy store, or should I say four wonderful stores? Timbuk Toys has four locations and I am the April Author-of-the-Month at all of them. This is a great example of a local store supporting a local author; something that takes ‘Shop Local’ to another level.
It’s fun to spend time in such a happy place as I’ve been able to share ALIANA REACHES FOR THE MOON with people shopping for birthday gifts, a few teachers, a dad looking for a gift for his daughter, and of course children. Sharing my book with children makes my teacher 💜 so happy! I was even surprised by a friend who came after seeing my event posted on Facebook.
I’ll be visiting all four stores during the month so if you’re in the Denver area, check out TimbukToys and buy a signed copy or two of ALIANA REACHES FOR THE MOON!